Here at Flock, one of the key service areas we provide revolves around our clients’ People – assessing team skills, building better relationships, and improving ways of working for the likes of McDonald’s, ASDA, Sage, Ford, and Pepsi.
But also, help clients to identify and place the world’s best marketing transformation talent through our work with global executive search firm Grace Blue, who has placed candidates for clients such as Amazon, Coca-Cola, Spotify, and agencies including BBDO, Dentsu Aegis, and Havas.
Together, we have looked back over the past couple of years – particularly since the Covid pandemic – and take stock of what skills we notice are needed in the modern transformational marketer.
Across B2B and B2C, the transformational CMO typically require the following areas of expertise:
- Vision – a focus on the short, medium, and long-term strategy and the impact on the overall business
- Mindset – transformation & growth – agility/adaptability to continuous improvement across people, processes, best practice, and ability to pivot campaigns, products, propositions
- Leadership – Empathy, communication, and collaboration – ability to build high performing teams
- Stakeholder engagement – create followship, engage internally and externally to drive the marketing/growth agenda
- Partnership capability – ability to engage with and partner clients at c-suite levels
It’s also been evident that successful candidates have often come from diverse backgrounds, their unique experience is seen as positive for a transformational role.
Some valued expertise areas include:
- Strategic – ability to dial-up to the strategic and down into detail where necessary
- Commercial – always focusing on driving the right level of ROI
- Marketing/Digital – broad experience across the full mix with a focus on digital/social/influencer marketing to drive customer engagement/growth
- Tech – good understanding of Martech and broader impact tech can have on improving marketing/business performance
If you would like to know more about how to specify marketing transformation recruitment or identify transformational talent please get in touch.